Contactless Cards FAQs
Your card number and expiration date will stay the same with your contactless card reissue. The only change to your contactless card is the CVC security code on the back of the card.
Reissues of contactless cards began in September 2021. UNCLE Credit Union will automatically be mailing new contactless cards to our credit and debit card holders.
A contactless card contains a small, near field communication (NFC) chip which allows for close-range payments to be made. When you tap, place or wave your contactless debit or credit card near a contactless symbol on a checkout symbol, your payment will be submitted wirelessly without having to swipe or insert your card.
UNCLE Credit Union is implementing contactless cards and touch-free payment methods to provide a more secure payment option for our members, to create more convenience and faster checkouts while you are on the go, and to provide even more opportunities for you to use your UNCLE credit or debit card.
Contactless cards will become the standard in the United States as a majority of financial institutions have embraced this updated technology. UNCLE Credit Union will be transitioning all debit and credit cards to contactless.
- Better security: With the same dynamic security features as inserting a chip card, each time you tap your card the transaction generates a one-time security code which protects your payment information.
- Faster checkouts: Contactless card payments are up to 10x faster to checkout with than a chip card or swipe-based purchase.
- Reduce contact with public surfaces: Using a contactless card helps avoid more touch points on public surfaces while shopping.
- Less wear-and-tear: Magnetic strips and EMV chips can wear out from repeated contact with payment terminals. Contactless chips do not require constant contact with payment terminals and therefore last longer than other cards.
How to use a contactless card
- When you are ready to checkout, look for the contactless card symbol on the payment terminal.
- Tap or wave your debit or credit card on the symbol
- Depending on your purchase size, you may be required to input you PIN number for extra security.
- Once you receive payment confirmation, your transaction is complete.
Millions of merchants around the world accept contactless payments including fast food restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, and more.
Yes. You will be able to use your UNCLE Credit Union credit or debit card anywhere where Mastercard is accepted. Most countries have already adopted contactless payments at checkouts.
Yes. However, use caution when inserting or swiping your card. Tapping to pay is more secure because the payment takes place in a fraction of a second versus leaving your card in the terminal while the payment is being processed.
Yes. Your contactless card is safe because like chip cards, they use a one-time, transaction specific code to transmit only your account number to merchants. Pay instantly with built-in security. Contactless cards allow for fast, seamless payments without compromising your already in place security standards.
Near-Field Communication (NFC) Technology
- Contactless terminals can read NFC-enabled cards, smartphones or other wearable devices
- Contactless readers must be within 2 inches away from the card or device, making wireless skimming difficult for fraudsters
Cardholder Verification Method (CVM) Limits
- No PIN or signature will be required if the amount of purchase is below the pre-set CVM limit of $100
- If the transaction is above the CVM limit, contactless supports PIN/signature verification, adding a layer of security for larger purchase amounts
You must have your card within 1-2 inches of the contactless card symbol on the checkout terminal to help avoid accidentally paying with the wrong card.
Because Contactless Cards use the same unique code technology chip cards use and the antenna in the card has a range of 1-2 inches, it is unlikely that someone can obtain your information via a card reader.
No need to purchase protective sleeves or an NFC blocking wallet because transmitted information is encrypted. If you would like a protective sleeve, please visit your local UNCLE financial institution.